Sunday, January 17, 2010

Finding the time. Is it really lost?

I began writing this on Friday evening Jan 15, 2010. 
Last Monday, I noted that I was three blog entries behind.  This can only make sense to you if I explain that I write these missives out longhand in a lovely old ledger with lovely smooth paper using my favorite fountain pen.  I simply cannot write anything worth reading at all using any other method.  Although it sounds snooty, it is not meant to be.  I think because of how my brain is wired with both ADD and synesthesia, I need a certain physicality to become involved in certain kinds of activities.

Another reason for maintaining this method of writing has to do with my hope that I can edit what I write into at least a tolerable quality of writing. Previously, when writing for people who paid me and had deadlines, I was know as the seven draft girl. 

I was going to write a bit about how the constuct of SHOULD impacts our lives, but since the earthquake in Haiti I have other things to write about.  None of this is edited. 

Many, many years ago, a wonderful woman named Amy persuaded me and my friend Randi to open our own preschool and daycare following the model we wanted to do.  In some ways it was a bit like the Reggio Emilio model only done on $400 starting money.  We also were dedicated to the idea that children could be taught social responsibility and other ethical issues could be addressed with children as young as three.
If you knew Amy like I know Amy........you also know that it is fairly impossible to say "no" to her.  This is why soon her son Jesse and ten  or so other children were all enrolled at the Willows. Time went by, the kids grew older, but Amy remained on our advisory board and Jesse still went strawberry picking with us.

After five years we had accomplished our goals, which were miriad and I will not list them here.  It was time to close the Willows and I accidentally sort of came to write a book detailing our experiences with helping children learn conflict resolution skills.  (KEEPING THE PEACE-PRACTIVING CONFLICT RESOLUTION WITH PRESCHOOLERS).

More time went by and Jesse was ready to marry Sarah.  They did not have a great deal of money to spend on a wedding dress, so I offered to make it.  At the time I was unaware that she would be gone for a month in Haiti during the time I needed her for fitting, but even though I helf up the wedding a few hours I was forgiven. The dress was beautiful made from vintage kimono and pale green silk charmeuse.  I was to have gone to the wedding, but not having slept for 48 hours in order to finish on time, I watched her walk from the balcony on Jesse's arm and she looked just like the mermaid she had wanted to be.

They had a child last year.  As with all children, he is of course beautiful. Sarah has been in Haiti and so Jesse took Miles down to see her and they got caught in the earthquake.   If you have more interest in this story see the Seattle Times coverage from yesterday. 

There is nothing more important to write or think about.  That earthquake, like so many of these catastrophes seemed so far away to me until I heard Jesse talk (in an interview over the internet) about being deputized as a nurse, being overwhelmed by the cries and screams of people still trapped in the rubble.  It now feels very personal.  I encourage all of you who read this (two people??) to do what you can.  Donate, help out, whatever is in your power.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciated my warm down comforters and clean bed last night.

peace and good life to all. sopha d.

No comments: