Monday, May 17, 2010

The Missing Posts




These are my favorite pillows in  my house and I take great pride in having found them second hand and being able to purchase them for a pittance.  The rest of the  couch is charcoal colored and they bring me great joy without fail, as they liven up the room with their Miro designs and unrestrained color.

That was actually just a side thought.....................................
One of the things I wrote some time ago was to try to explain how I want to present myself as I write this.  The truth is that I have as many facets as any other person, but not everyone names them and allows them to express themselves as openly as I do.  Let me just say that  I am not emotionally troubled or lacking in mental hygiene (there's a concept!!); I simply allow myself to play and try to encourage others to do the same. Here then, is my aging explanation of the different voices you might encounter here.


This hat is a hat that sopha is working on and trying to finish.  It was one of my first tries with using punch needle felting and patterned chiffon on a piece.      I will try to remember to take a picture when it is completed.
MANY FACES--MANY FACETS--ONE BIG MOUTH
(This was first written on a Sunday sometime around Thanksgiving last year)

Despite my belief that very few people actually read these postings, I have, of late, received a few responses that are spurring me on.  Additionally, I have lately had a bit of time for me to think. Thinking is generally a somewhat dangerous thing for me to do, given the wildly roaming quality of my thoughts.  In the past, I have considered thinking to be a private sort of activity the outcome of which is heavily censored.  This habit of self-censoring and guarding one's boundaries has fit it well with my career of choice as a psychotherapist. 

I am now over sixty and doing a sort of semi retirement.  It is forced upon me in great measure by some chronic health problems, but allows me to change a few other things in my life.  Perhaps it is time to stop censoring the fun voices in my life and be open to having them read by others.


(these, by the way are the beautiful baskets they hang in the city of Monroe.  Until we had to move offices, one of these hung right outside my window---nice.)
When I first began writing this blog I chose the pseudonym "sopha davenport". My explanation was that this was what I would consider the  more whimsical, creative, interesting, artsy, yet still sensitive part of my nature. I thought it would be more interesting than the lazy, boring, frequently overwhelmed part of my life. 
Shortly after reading the initial draft of this statement, I saw clearly that there are more facets and voices than just these two.  They are all me, but are shaped by my current mood, thoughts and circumstances of my life.  Everyone has this quality and can  easily find their facets.  Defining them is sort of fun and kind of enlightening.
So, allow me to introduce some of them to you:
There is Suse-a girl with big brown eyes.  That is what all her relatives always said about her.  They also teased her about how skinny she was and smart and made jokes about how that skinny body could possibly hold up that heavy head.  Suse can tell you stories about being an immigrant to the US, having an alcoholic father, her mother's breast cancer and lots more. 

Then there is Sopha Chesterfield Davenport to whom you have already been introduced.

Then there is the not quite Dr. Psychobabble Suze brought to you by Hot Water Shrinks, a non-existent mental health agency. She has the occasional useful thing to say about odd things.  None of this should be mistaken for actual clinical advice.

Last but not least is Prunella Pitt, the resident grumpy old lady. She is settling her softening and expanding butt into my life with the same implication of staying a while that a dog signals when he circles his chosen spot three times before plopping down with a sigh.

At the mid/old age of sixty +,  with an aching back, Prunella feels she has  earned the right to call out anything and anyone that irritate her. 


I  would love to see other voices join this chorus, but they should be yours....let me hear you sing.

be well, feel loved and peace to all of you from this little group!


No comments: