Monday, September 20, 2010

Being able to do what you do not really want to do... is...

Power and independence, baby, power and independence!!!
Here , finally comes the simple conclusion to the convoluted verbal mess I made of trying to explain about plunging the toilet. 
We live in a temperamental house.  It chooses to have things work or not according to its whims du jour.  All the things in this house that are in any manner machine like (ie.having more than one piece) or technological (requiring some kind of electrical power), have taken on the attitude of this house. 

I have grown used to the size of my garage door mysteriously shrinking when I try to back my car out, particularly on a day when I am already a bit stressed.   I have also grown used to "teaser" power outages that only last long enough to require resetting the time on everything that blinks otherwise.  Sometimes I wait, but the house is clever and just when I have given up and taken care of all the blinking things, it will of course do it again.  There are days when I do not adppreciate these cute games.

One of the other games is to plug the toilet for no obvious reason.  Like any home, there are times when there is a reason, which, being the delicate creatures that we are, we will not discuss.  For a very long time, I had difficulty plunging the toilet and would, after several useless attempts, have to call my husband in to try to fix it.  Of course, it only took him two seconds.  He never minded either.  Independent woman that I have attempted to be during most of my life this was bugging the _______(you make the obvious joke here) out of me.

My dear beefcake did attempt to assist.  First he got me my very own plunger.  This was a teeny weeny baby plunger and I was initially offended until her explained that it would work better with the female upper body strength... ok, fell for it and tried.  Did that work?    of course not.

My husband is a gooooood man, so he found me a very weird looking purple, sort of pleated, massive plunging instrument. Now, this one had several things going for it.  First, it was purple, my favorite of colors and it was just so weird looking that I figured it had to work.  It is easy to impress the daughter of an engineer with weird looking stuff.  Did it work?

YES IT DID!!!! It did for rather a long time and I felt strong and independent, running out of the bathroom with my purple monster plunger proclaiming my success.  It isn't that I like messing around with toilets, but I would rather live with them and I want to live with them functioning well and be able to fix ist should they fail to. 

Two weeks ago, when I began this little rant, my purple monster failed me and I had to ask for help and watch as my darling took the tiny baby plunger and in his usual two seconds cleared things right up.   Do I divorce him?  Perhaps I could practice secretly, but with what?  

Maybe I should return to finding my independence in work of some kind.  Retirement makes one weird.  Therefore, I am working on a few hats again.   I will show them to you as I finish them. 
Peace, love and co-operative plumbing to all, sopha chesterfield davenport

No comments: